Monday, August 29, 2011

Adversity washes and Opportunity knocks with a freebie

Are you or someone close to you flooded with adversity at the moment? In a season of troubles?

Webster defines adversity as:
“a state, condition, or instance of serious or continued difficulty”
Sometimes it can feel like we are carefree- playing in the ocean one minute and then being tossed and tumbled by its amazing power the next. I loved to ride the "boogie board" on the waves as a kid. But I HATED when a wave overtook me and the several seconds which seemed like days that followed! In truth, I didn't like the sand in my suit, the salt down my throat and the water up my nose! I didn't like losing control, even for a brief few seconds!!
But I didn't stop riding the board.
(Not at least until I was an older mom, lol)

The psalmist David wrote:
"Deep calls to deep at the sound of Your waterfalls; All Your breakers and Your waves have rolled over me." Psalm 42:7
The rolling up of the waves into a swell, and the break of the top of the swell, and its dash upon the shore, are surprisingly represented in the sound of the two last words.
The psalmist seems to represent himself as cast away at sea; and by wave impelling wave, is carried to a rock, 
around which the surges dash in all directions, 
forming hollow sounds in the creeks and caverns. At last, several waves breaking over him, tear him away from that rock to which he clung, and where he had a little before found a resting-place, and, apparently, an escape from danger. "All thy waves and thy billows are gone over me;" he is then cast in the deep,
and God alone can save him. 

    Over the past 5 years of a season of unprecedented struggle in my life, I have come finally to understand 
that it is safest when surfing 
to let go of the board when toppled by a wave. 
Go with the wave! Let GO!
It is getting easier to surrender and let go. 
I know that these waves were not necessarily sent 
 by the One who made me, 
but He permitted then and is trusting me in them
I must return that trust back to Him.
In the process, I am washed. Much that had comfortably rested
in/on me has been removed. Sometimes its absence reveals a real need for growth. Other times I can see more clearly what He was doing all along. Either way, I am cleansed. 
   Meditate on this quote this week:
"There are minerals called hydrophanous, which are not transparent till they are immersed in water, when they become so; as the hydrophane, a variety of opal. So it is with many a Christian. Till the floods of adversity been poured over him, his character appears marred and clouded by selfishness and worldly influences. But trials clear away the obscurity, and give distinctness and beauty to his faith."
      - Roswell Dwight Hitchcock

 Here is your free word art for this week from Adversity's Advantage:
Now released and on sale at both Go Digital Scrapbooking


EXPIRED



Digital Scrap Cafe Creative Team Call

We are looking for some fun and fabulous
ladies to join our creative team!

Requirements:

create a minimum of 1 layout with each product
provided, and a minimum of 3 layouts each month
post your page in at least 3 galleries DSC, DST and one other
participate in Digital Scrap Cafe community
especially by leaving praise and love on members layouts

If this sounds like something you are
interested in send an email to
admin at digitalscrapcafe dot com

please include your name, username, a short bio,
blog link and link to your most active gallery.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 4 post on Aug. 30, 2011. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete